Saturday, November 22, 2008

This one time in Cancun

I want to share the story behind my picture on Top Momma. It is the one with the back of the boys in a swimming pool. We were in Cancun for my little sisters wedding. It was a couple of days before the wedding and we were just hanging out at the pool. It was me and my two boys, my sister and her little girl, my mom, the happy couple, some of the grooms friends, my cousin and the grooms mother. So many more adults than children.

The pool we were at was wonderful, it had the mats in the pool to lay out on, the water was only about a foot deep. You can see how the cirled around that cement ball which was a fountain. There was a ledge that lead to the deeper water that was about 5 feet deep and a bar in the pool. Great set up!

My sister asked me to take a picture of her next to the ball/fountain type thing. We are totally those cheesy posing picture girls. So we were focusing on the photo shoot, I was totally into getting the proper Myspace angle and then she yells oh no! I look to where she is running to and see nothing but my little boys curls in the deep end. There was no noise, no commotion just the top of his little head. I could see he was trying to swim and moving his arms like an octopus. My sister pulls him up and hands him to me. The way I feel is indescribable. He takes a deep breath and puts his head against my shoulder. He is very calm and peaceful. Not even 5 minutes later he is ready to get down and play.

It was so scarey, I still get a sick to the stomach feeling when I think about it. I feel so guilty that I relaxed that much while we were in the water. I feel guilty that I wasn't even the one to notice, I feel sad thinking about the what ifs. I am tahnkful nothing serious happened. I get nervous realizing that drowning is such a silent danger.

I am very thankful that everything turned out ok and use this as a reminder for water safety forever.




2 comments:

HeatherLynn said...

Thank you for your condolences on the loss of my sister. Such a senseless tragedy. I hope I can make a difference, although I have a fight ahead of me..it's worth it!

I just read your post about your son, and I got chill bumps as I was reading. Thank goodness he is ok, and was not too scared to get back into the water. I was pushed into the deep end of a pool when I was around 4 or 5, and I couldn't swim. I remember just trying to reach my hands above the top so someone could see me. It seemed like an eternity I was under. My 13 year old cousin jumped in and got me, but I was too scared to get in the water for many years. I have gotten lessons for my two older children and am going to get my 19 month old lessons this coming up spring. I'm so glad everything turned out ok for you guys.

Moxymama said...

It's totally easy to drown and can happen in a second. My son fell in a shallow water trough we keep outside for our dog. I was right there and pulled him right up, but he was unable to get himself out and couldn't maneuver himself to flip over. Had I not been right there even for an instant he could have easily drowned. We live in Arizona and there are so many senseless drownings here every summer. It is tragically sad and breaks my heart everytime I hear about one. I'm glad your son is okay!!!!