Monday, July 14, 2008

When I Grow Up.......

When I grow up I want to be just like my sister Sherry. She is truely the most selfless, giving person I have ever met. I have seen her bend over backwards to help family in so many ways, whether it is money, acting as a taxi, babysitting or just offering a shoulder to cry on. I have seen here give to strangers, for instance one year the hotel she was working for was switching the bedding and so they sold the current bedding, she bought 50 sets and then took them to a homeless shelter and gave them away. She won a pay it forward contest on the radio and continued to pay it forward by giving 5 people $100.00 asking them to continue paying it forward by giving someone $20.00.
Recently she was involved in an incident where some juveniles threw rocks off a bridge and hit her 4 day old Chevy Avalanche. She was really shook up because her husband had to serve off the road and her 3 year old was in the car. It was just a scarey incident for everyone, my BIL had recently returned from Iraq so his intial thought was they were being shot at. Today she had the mediation with the 8 year old and his mother. The little boy told how the 14 year old he was with talked him into it. He said he knew it was wrong but the older boy told him to do it. Instead of demanding they pay her deductible my sister took out a shiney stone she has had for many years and said I am going to give you this rock and i want you to carry it with you, when older kids tell you to throw rocks or do bad things I want you to hold onto this rock and have the courage to do the right thing. The mediator asked if she was sure she didn't want her money and Sherry said yes I am sure, I just want him to think about what he does. I really think she made an impression on this little boy and his family. She said that the mother was emotional and very open in the mediation.
Just knowing her makes me want to be a better person, makes me want to grow up and be just like her!!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow, she sounds like an incredible person. What an inspiration!

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

Truly an inspiration but also remember that it is easier to see the good others do, even when we are doing good too!

Anonymous said...

You too my dear sister have many qualities you do not give yourself credit for...I miss you!

queen foodie said...

Wow...that's amazing. What a good person she sounds like.